If you have ever tried to get an ITIN and was knocked back, you will love my guts by the end of this blog!
Okay, let me start off with a thank you from an awesome author who pointed me in this direction after I spent over $400 attempting to get the dreaded ITIN from the IRS.
Karly, as always my wingman, you rock!
So I read this blog which explained that you didn't actually need this ITIN after all because we could use the more friendlier version known as an EIN-employment identification number.
Now I was given a number on this blog and told to skype it with a microphone.
Let's quickly fix this problem: You don't need a microphone. If you have mobile phone ear plugs with a microphone, you're set!
Now for the phone number...OMG I tried every number given and none worked. I was ready to throw it all when a friend who calls England said there is additional number we need to dial first. Hello!
So I have the number now and I'm ready to call.
Now, I dont normally skype(call) so I had to buy credit. $16.00 was the minimum so I thought, hell. I have already spent hundreds, wha'ts another $16.
Pft, skype kept kicking me off after it connects and I've been on hold for ten minutes. GAH!
Back to the phone I go and accept that at the end of the month I will have a bigger phone bill. Oh well, I'm quite over it all by now so who gives an eff. LOL.
I call and I get a guy who transfers me to the department for over the phone application and before I know it....I am the owner of one EIN!
Here is the instructions I followed:
- Call 00111 2679411099 (the 0011 is the important bit I was talking about)
- option 2
- next part doesn't give you an EIN option so I pressed EIN and got an operator within a minute who I said I wanted to apply for an EIN from a foreign state and he transferred me right away.
- They will ask why and you will tell them you are a sole proprietor who needs an EIN for foreign tax withholding
- They will ask if you have a social security number, ITIN number and filled out a form- say No and you are fine. On the blog I got some info from said if they ask you to fill out a form first, hang up and start process again, you should get another operator. But this didn't happen to me.
- They will ask for you address and phone number
- They will ask if you will be wagering, gambling and operating heavy machinery and trucks.- say NO.
- Will you be hiring anyone in the next 12 months- If I get famous maybe. LOL. I said that. Apparently it helps.
- They check your details against the system to make sure you don't already have an EIN and then....SNAP! You have an EIN!
Have a nice day.
So, I'm hoping this will help you. If you don't live in Australia, this probably wont help you. Sorry.
Any questions, ask. I'm happy to help.