Monday, July 25, 2016

It's mop up time- editing 101

Yep, it is that time again. You would think the first round of edits are the worst. It's where you see 
discrepancies like eye colour, repeated phrases, or in my case, August is NOT hunting season.
Hopefully you don't find anything major. But this is a great time to see your work as one piece and not minutes here and word sprints there.
For the first part of my project, I had wrote it over a few times, never happy with it until I remembered my own advice which I had out often to other writers- Write that beautiful mess and mop up the mess later. 
I actually think I give this speech every time, but it never gets old, there's always someone out there who needs it. So from then, I gave it my best shot.
But it isn't the first load of edits I dread, no. It is the last couple, where you hate even seeing the words because you have read your own work over and over again. There's no surprises and suddenly you are looking out your magic with a scrutinising eye that it ends up losing that magical feeling. By this point I doubt my talent... right up until I get my first email or review and the miracle of someone elses words are what makes it all worth while. 
Now I know you are all thinking that it has taken me a couple of years to write the sequel to Never Goodbye, but I had to mop up some life messes along the way too.
I wrote another book under an alias, which was bigger than I expected but awesome all the same, but it was my daughter who needed my help. Once we were on track, the writing juju was back.
What does this mean for the Albany Boys? It means we are on our way to publication and will hopefully be out in time for the Christmas holidays so that you can see what has happened to Harper and Vaun, but more importantly, read all about April and Carter this time. 


Look out for more news here or on my facebook.
Happy reading
Kez

No comments: